4.12.2011

Help Me Save The World

Have you ever noticed that there are certain people that are so passionate about one specific thing and then they dedicate their whole life's work to saving that animal, or researching that science, or educating others on it? I'm starting to have that passion, but on a different level. I can't pick just one thing that I'm going to dedicate my whole life to. The more I learn about earth and nature and wildlife the more I want to do something to keep those things I love around.
Being from Utah, I have heard a lot of people say that climate change, a dying mother nature, and loss of wildlife are all just part of "the end of the world" or what my religion calls the second coming. Regardless of what it may or may not be a part of, I feel like I have a deeper understanding than the people around me. I believe that God put me on this earth to be a steward over nature, to take care of it and to protect it.
It's so unfortunate that having respect for nature has been lost. It's unfortunate that protecting the environment has become so politicized. And it's really unfortunate that the people in my church are so lazy that they don't recycle or do even the smallest things to help protect that which God has given us. There are even those people in my church who refuse to do things because they are afraid protecting the environment is "too liberal." It breaks my heart that they don't care. I believe that all of us will be held accountable for what we didn't do to protect the home that God gave to us.
Just some tips about protecting the environment for any of you conservative Mormon's out there:

  • Recycling won't turn you into a liberal or a Democrat, if you're really so concerned that people are going to start looking at you like one for doing the smart thing.
  • This planet and everything on it was given to us as a gift from our Heavenly Father. Yes, I know the second coming is nigh, but really, we can do a lot more to help keep this planet clean and healthy. You do remember that we have to live here after the second coming, right?
  • The Democrats don't have it all wrong. So stop hating so much. God and Jesus love the Democrats just as much as they love the Republicans.
  • And if you were wondering I did vote for Obama, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. He's human too and ALL human's make mistakes. Regardless of who became president most American's would be upset at what was happening. Maybe instead of focusing on all the "bad" things you think he's done as president why don't you try and see the good. For the position he's in and where the U.S. was when he was elected I personally think he's doing a pretty good job. I know Obama has done something for me when I still have health insurance from my dad's job after I got married and really that's a huge blessing in my life. 
Compared to the rest of Utah, I am a liberal, but to the rest of the world I am a conservative. But really, who cares? In the scheme of things God isn't going to ask me if I was Democrat or Republican, He's going to ask me if I did everything I could to live His gospel and I know protecting His other creations is part of living the gospel.

2 comments:

  1. I whole heartedly agree! So many people around here are so diehard against being liberal that they are TOO conservative. I am actually not a fan of Obama, but I respect him as a president. Every person in a larger public office will do something to upset others. He is doing what he believes is best. Regardless if we voted for him or not, we have to pay respects to the fact that he IS our president and there is nothing legally we can do about that.

    Also, I think it's dumb to have just 2 main political parties. You can't tie it down to being Republican or Democrat. I can't claim either because I have too many views that are all across the board. And Democrats aren't bad people. You won't explode if you talk to them, and the Lord won't strike you down for being one. So all in all, I think many people need to buck up and be a bit nicer to their surroundings. (People and environment included.) Great post Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You Go Girl! I LOVE YOU SISSY!

    ReplyDelete