4.12.2010

"Thou Shalt Love"

It's been a few days, hasn't it? I guess I haven't had anything stick out to blog about, but now that I look back I can pull out a few highlights.

Last Thursday my roommate, Mary Ann, dragged me (kicking and screaming) to the DI to do service. Don't get me wrong, I love to serve, but I don't like the DI...it smells...Ew. By the end of our volunteer work I was in a pretty good mood and extremely tired even if I hadn't been breathing normally for the hour and a half I was there. Mary Ann also bought Mountain Dew pajama pants that make both of us very happy. Hehe.

Friday Night...not a very good night to begin with, but it ended rather well. I hate PMSing, and Friday night was precisely that, full of PMS!!! I cried my eyes out over happy things, sad things, angry things....pretty much everything. I was also worrying about Ty, who hasn't been feeling well lately and that added to all my emotion. Worrying is one of the things I succeed at very well. I also started a second blog on Friday, the blog of Ty and Jessie, our adventures of engaged life and soon married life. combiningpercussivebeats.blogspot.com - check it out. Late Friday night Becky, Mary Ann, and I talked and watched I.Q. (awesome movie). I love these girls, some of my favorites on this planet.

 On Saturday we (Becky, Mary Ann, and I) participated in a pie fight. Guess who started it all? ME!!!! I totally pied Mary Ann in the face first and everybody was watching. It was an epic moment for me. It was nice feeling like I belonged doing crazy college things like this. The downside to all this was the feeling of the whip cream hardening in my hair and on my face. However, whip cream war paint made my skin surprisingly soft. When it came time to wash it all off, the heat from the water melted it and that was a very strange sensation. I've only been pied once before when I was in high school and I cleaned that up pretty quickly, so the hardening and the melting...all a very new experience.

Ty came up for a visit Saturday night. It was good. I think we both needed to see each other. While I was laying in bed trying to fall asleep, after shopping and hanging out for a bit with Ty and Mary Ann (we watched Just Like Heaven...another awesome movie), I was thinking and I think I was enlightened. The thought process went like so, "I know God is disappointed when we sin, but He sees the whole big picture. It seems that if God knows we will learn from our mistake/sin, he's not as disappointed. I can't go back and change anything I've done, and even if I had the opportunity to do so, I don't think I would take it because everything, all the trials and sins and mistakes, I've been through makes me who I am today and I'm okay with that. I like who I am. I am much stronger by going through all of that stuff and I know God likes who I am right now. I've put the atonement to work in my life and I'm happy." That's the basic gist of it. Sunday came along and in Sunday School we talked about the same thing. It made me feel really cool. The other cool thing that happened to me at church was feeling like I was on the same page/wave length as a member of my stake high council. He mentioned in Sunday School something about politics. He compared the story of Joseph in Egypt to modern day politics. He said something like, "We may not like everything our current politicians are doing, but we have to respect them because they are the leaders of our country. God wants to help them  and will give them revelation because they are leading this country. It's God's responsibility to judge them based on what they do with the revelation they receive and how they lead the country. After we have placed our vote, it's out of our hands, we are no longer in the position to judge." When the high councilman said this I could have stood up and started yelling "Hallelujah! Amen Brother!" On the inside I was doing that. I have never met anyone who felt the same way I do about how we treat our politicians. I don't always agree with them, but I respect them, and I love them because that's what God and Christ would want me to do. I can't stand when people complain about politics or get angry and upset about the policies being passed. That's unrighteous judging and that is a sin considered worse than whatever it is the other person (whether they are a politician or not) is doing. We are supposed to LOVE EVERYBODY! It's also a commandment to respect our "kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law." That's something we are supposed to believe, the 12th Article of Faith says so. Until the Prophet of the LDS church tells me that God has revealed the government can no longer be trusted, I will respect President Obama, and the other elected officials of our country and state. I will follow the laws and bills passed, and I will pray that they are able to make the best decisions possible. I may not agree with all those decisions, but they were elected to office and I trust that God won't let us go through anything we cannot handle. Whether we want to or not. I pray to be able to find that love and respect when I can't do it on my own.
I guess that's enough on my soap box topic.

108 days til I get married :)

No comments:

Post a Comment